The Whidbey News-Times is looking for a full-time circulation/administrative position requires strong customer service skills and includes greeting and assisting members of the public who call or stop in our Oak Harbor Office. The direct supervisor is the publisher.
This hire will have the following responsibilities:
• Manage office functions and ensure the office maintains a professional appearance at all times.
• Answer customer phones and emails and drop-ins, assisting customers as possible and forwarding advertising, editorial, and publisher calls to the appropriate co-worker.
• Manage/udpate/streamline phone tree as possible.
• Field obituary calls and produces proof copies and provides costs to customers. This requires solid spelling and grammar skills, and ideally some knowledge of AP Style. Accept credit card payment over the phone, check/cash in person, providing a receipt.
• Direct faxes to appropriate co-workers
• Assist advertising representatives with tasks as needed/as approved by the publisher.
• Pick up mail at the Oak Harbor Post Office on the way to work each morning, and deliver any outgoing mail in the afternoon.
• Typeset news briefs, flight schedules, calendar items, other news copy, as requested by the publisher.
• Address and resolve subscriber circulation concerns and questions
• Collect quarters/slugs from newsstands on North and South Whidbey every other week
• Receive paper carrier manifests from Everett plant and ensure carriers have theirs by Monday and Thursday mornings, either placed in their boxes at the Oak Harbor storage unit or retrieved at our office.
• Count slugs for drivers: Michael W. on Wednesday and Saturday, 31; Peter on Wednesday (63) and Saturday (75); and Justin P. on Wednesday (16) and Saturday (28).
• Get returns numbers from the carrier. Complete form and send to circulationreturns@
• Maintain office newspaper “morgue” updated with current papers, recycling copies after one year. 20 copies each of WNT/SWR/Crosswind, 10 copies Homes-Land.
• Maintain a folder/morgue of all special sections, 5-10 copies
• Coordinate and/or deliver special sections to designated locations/drops.
• Deliver missed newspapers to subscribers as needed.
• Print truck manifest from BP Circ around the 15th/20th each month, send to carriers. Homes Land Islander delivered last Wed before the last Friday of each month (Peter); and Crosswind, delivered by Peter and Michael W. by the last Friday of each month.
• At month’s end calculate carrier pay in Newzware
• Manage carriers for Homes Land Islander and WNT/SWR to Coupeville.
• Bi-weekly deposit of advertising and circulation payments brought into the office. Send deposit worksheets to accounting.
• This employee should be comfortable working with spreadsheets and word documents and willing to train on other necessary computer programs.
• Communicate with office cleaner as needed.
• Maintain a list of office supplies that are needed each month.
• Balance petty cash each month. Maintain receipts and complete petty cash form monthly and send to accounting.
• Know and meet all publication deadlines, as necessary.
• Other duties as assigned by the publisher.
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, sick, and holidays. EOE. No calls, please. Attach your resume with a cover letter, and three or more non-returnable clips in PDF to your Indeed submission.
If you are interested in joining our team, email us your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Please be sure to note ATTN: “Circ/Admin Whidbey” in the subject line.
Sound Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace. Check out our website to find out more about us! www.soundpublishing.com.