The Bellingham Business Journal, a division of Sound Publishing, Inc. is looking for an energetic and experienced reporter. This Full-Time position will focus on business news and features that report on local politics and events that affect the Bellingham business community. The ideal applicant will have a general understanding of local commerce and industry, education, employment and labor issues, real estate and development, and related public policy; be able to spot emerging business issues and trends; write clean, balanced and accurate stories that dig deeper than simple features; develop and institute readership initiatives; be proficient in layout and design using Adobe CS3 (Macintosh); and use BBJ’s website and online tools to gather information and reach the community.
- 1-2 years experience as a newspaper reporter
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Use of personal vehicle, possession of valid WA State Driver’s License and proof of active vehicle insurance
The job involves pagination, including knowledge of digital photography and Adobe InDesign, in addition to Web page management. The ideal candidate must:
- be organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, efficient, well organized and possess excellent multitasking skills;
- be a self-starter but team-oriented with lots of flexibility;
- possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills;
- have strong writing and layout skills;
- be exceptional with the public and willing to get involved in community activities.
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, sick and holidays. EOE. No calls, please. To apply, please e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to include BBJ Reporter in the subject line; (1) a resume including at least three professional references; (2) three or more non-returnable relevant work samples in PDF or Text format (and/or a link to them); (3) a cover letter addressing the specific job requirements we’ve outlined, and (4) three references. Please also include your salary requirements.
Sound Publishing, www.soundpublishing.com, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.