Bring your reporting know-how to a newsroom that’s determined to make a difference. We are looking for a reporter with experience, proven skills and leadership potential. We want a skilled and passionate writer who isn’t afraid to tackle meaty news stories. Experience with photography and Adobe InDesign preferred. Applicants must be able to work in a team-oriented, deadline-driven environment, possess excellent writing skills, have knowledge of community news and be able to write about multiple topics. The ideal candidate is comfortable writing hard news and features, both long-form and short. Weekly or daily newspaper experience is preferred, though time worked on student publications and internships will be considered. Must be comfortable using a smartphone in the field to take photos and shoot video.
Send a letter, resume and work samples that demonstrate:
- Stories you’ve done that were important to your community.
- Your ability to cover a beat in a reliable, productive and timely fashion.
Sufficient bandwidth to file developing versions of the same story to the web and print in a single news cycle.
- A knack for developing enterprise reports that are both substantive and interesting.
Skills you possess that will strengthen our digital storytelling — audio, visuals, mapping, graphic, data, and others.
- Writing that is clean, clear and engaging — qualities that indicate you could help edit your colleagues’ stories.
- Please send web links along with any print samples you submit.The Daily Herald is a medium-sized daily north of Seattle. We have earned loyalty and respect from our readers and top awards from our industry peers. We are a member of Sound Publishing Inc., the largest community media organization in Washington State, and offer a full range of fringe benefits.
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, sick and holidays. EOE. No calls, please. To apply, please e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (1) a resume including at least three professional references; (2) three or more non-returnable relevant work samples in PDF or Text format (and/or a link to them); (3) a cover letter addressing the specific job requirements we’ve outlined, and (4) three references. Make sure to include GenRep TDH in the subject line. Please also include your salary requirements.
Sound Publishing, www.soundpublishing.com, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.