The award-winning weekly newspaper, Peninsula Daily News, in beautiful Port Townsend, WA, has an opening for a general assignment reporter. We want a skilled and passionate writer who isn’t afraid to tackle meaty news stories. Experience with photography and Adobe InDesign preferred. Applicants must be able to work in a team-oriented, deadline-driven environment, possess excellent writing skills, have a knowledge of community news and be able to write about multiple topics.
The ideal candidate is comfortable writing hard news and features, both long-form and short. Weekly or daily newspaper experience is preferred, though time worked on student publications and internships will be considered. Must be comfortable using a smartphone in the field to take photos and shoot video.
- 1-2 years experience as a newspaper reporter
- 4-year college degree in Communication, Journalism, English, or equivalent journalism experience
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Use of personal vehicle, possession of valid WA State Driver’s License and proof of active vehicle insurance
- Job involves pagination, including knowledge of digital photography and Adobe InDesign, in addition to Web page management. The ideal candidate must:
- be organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, efficient, well organized and possess excellent multitasking skills;
- be a self-starter but team-oriented with lots of flexibility;
- possess excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills;
- have strong writing and layout skills;
- be exceptional with the public and willing to get involved in community activities.
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits: medical, dental, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, sick and holidays. EOE. No calls, please. Send resume with cover letter, and three or more non-returnable clips in PDF or Text format to email@example.com, ensuring they demonstrate:
- Stories you’ve done that were important to your community.
- Your ability to cover a beat in a reliable, productive and timely fashion.
- Sufficient bandwidth to file developing versions of the same story to the web and print in a single news cycle.
- A knack for developing enterprise reports that are both substantive and interesting.
- Skills you possess that will strengthen our digital storytelling — audio, visuals, mapping, graphic, data, and others.
- Writing that is clean, clear and engaging — qualities that indicate you could help edit your colleagues’ stories.
- Please send web links along with any print samples you submit.
Please include in the subject line ATTN: GenRep – PDT Reporter.
Sound Publishing, www.soundpublishing.com, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.