The Okanogan Valley Gazette Tribune, a division of Sound Publishing Inc. is seeking a general assignment reporter with writing experience and photography skills. This position is based out of the Oroville, WA office. Primary coverage will be city government, business, and general assignment stories; and could include sports coverage. Schedule may include some evening and/or weekend work.
As a reporter for Sound Publishing, you will be expected to:
- use a digital camera to take photographs of the stories you cover;
- post on the publication’s web site;
- blog and use Twitter on the web;
- layout pages, using InDesign;
- shoot and edit videos for the web .
The most highly valued traits are:
- commitment to community journalism and everything from short, brief-type stories about people and events to examining issues facing the community;
- to be inquisitive and resourceful in the coverage of assigned beats;
- to be comfortable producing five bylined stories a week;
- the ability to write stories that are tight and to the point;
- to be a motivated self-starter;
- to be able to establish a rapport with the community.
Candidates must have excellent communication and organizational skills, and be able to work effectively in a deadline-driven environment. Minimum of one year of previous newspaper experience is required. Position also requires use of personal vehicle, possession of valid WA State Driver’s License and proof of active vehicle insurance.
We offer a competitive hourly wage and benefits package including health insurance, paid time off (vacation, sick, and holidays), and 401K (currently with an employer match.)
Email us your cover letter, resume, and include five examples of your best work showcasing your reporting skills and writing chops to: careers@soundpublishing. Please include ATTN: HR/OVGT in the subject line.
Sound Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace. Check out our website to find out more about us! www.soundpublishing.com