The Peninsula Daily News in Port Angeles, Washington, is seeking a full-time special sections editor.
Gateway to Olympic National Park and Victoria, B.C., Port Angeles gets half the rainfall of Seattle, yet is close enough to enjoy the big city. Come explore rainforests, waterways, mountain trails and a plethora of other outdoor activities — right in your backyard.
The Peninsula Daily News is the leading news source on Washington’s North Olympic Peninsula and part of Sound Publishing, the largest community newsgroup in Washington state.
Special Sections Editor applicants must possess journalism experience at a newspaper or magazine in a writing and copyediting role, or similar. Experience in design and layout is preferable.
Applicants must be adaptable to changing deadlines and layouts and are able to work calmly, quickly and accurately under pressure within the advertising department.
Knowledge of and interest in local North Olympic Peninsula news is required, as is excellent news judgment and the ability to work with outside customers with precision and professionalism.
This is a full-time position and includes excellent benefits, paid time off and a 401(k) with company match.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Specific responsibilities include:
- Interviewing authoritative community members for articles
- Writing timely and topic-specific stories
- Working with outside customers to create special event sections
- Editing freelance articles
- Light editing of photos
- Pagination of multiple special sections
- Expert understanding of Associated Press style
- Keen copyediting skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Basic understanding of Google (Gmail, Drive, Docs, etc.)
- Intermediate skills in Adobe InDesign
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Sensible photography and photo editing skills
To apply, email your resume and a minimum of three writing examples and, if applicable, three design examples to firstname.lastname@example.org. B
(EOE) Learn more about us at www.soundpublishing.com.