Tacoma Daily Index
On May 1, 1890, Tacomans picked up the first edition of the Daily Mortgage and Lien Record, a single-sheet newspaper published out of the California Building downtown. Over the years, the name of our small legal newspaper changed – to the Daily Court and Commercial Index, before settling permanently on the Tacoma Daily Index. It also passed through the hands of a small number of owners, but no one owned the paper longer than Marshall B. Skidmore, who led the publication for 37 years before selling it to Sound Publishing and retiring in 1997. Today the Index continues to provide a complete daily record of Tacoma’s legal notices: calls for bids; court, permit and other public records; and contractor listings and advertisements, along with front-page news and business coverage.